Dental Health for Better Overall Health
Dental Hygiene… For Life
Achieve and maintain good oral health by doing the following:
- Brush for two minutes, twice a day with fluoride toothpaste.
- Remove plaque and food debris that accumulate between your teeth with floss or special brushes.
- Rinse using an antiseptic mouthwash.
- Make healthy food choices. Consult Canada’s Food Guide for more information.
- Strive to be tobacco free. Dental hygienists are cessation experts—we can help!
- Limit alcohol consumption.
- Have your children vaccinated against the human papillomavirus (HPV).
- Visit your dental hygienist regularly.
Dental Hygienists…Your Partners in Prevention
Dental hygienists provide individualized oral health care to their clients. During your appointment your dental hygienist will:
- Examine your teeth, mouth, head, and neck
- Work with you to develop goals and plan appropriate care to meet your oral health needs
- Remove calculus and plaque from your teeth (periodontal therapy)
- Take x-rays (radiographs)
- Apply fluoride to prevent tooth decay
- Offer support for healthy lifestyle choices in the form of smoking cessation strategies, nutrition counselling, and oral cancer screening
- Monitor your progress in achieving optimal oral health